Scripture contains many prophecies (overt or subtle) about the death of Messiah Yeshua. This article catalogues those prophecies for reference whether they are from the Tanakh or from the Greek Scriptures.
This is a working document not a completed and exhaustive work. Please contact us with recommendations of any verses to include.
Prophecies In the Tanakh
- Psalm 2:7; 16:8-11; 110:1 prophesy that Messiah will be resurrected from the dead.
- Psalm 16:8-11; 49:15; 86:13 prophesy that Messiah will conquer death through His resurrection.
- Psalm 22:15; 69:21 prophesy that Messiah will thirst during His execution.
- Psalm 22:16 and Zechariah 12:10 prophesy that Messiah will have His hands and feet pierced: crucifixion that results in death.
- Isaiah 25:6-12 prophesies that Messiah will swallow up death in victory.
- Isaiah 53:7 prophesies that Messiah will be led as a lamb to slaughter.
- Isaiah 53:9 prophesies that Messiah will be buried with the rich.
- Isaiah 53:10-11 prophesies that Messiah will be made into an offering for sin: sin offerings were killed.
Prophecies In Yeshua's Own Words
- Matthew 12:40- Yeshua says to some Scribes and Pharisees that "the Son of man [will] be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."
- Matthew 16:21- Yeshua teaches his talmidim He would be killed and raised on the third day.
- Matthew 21:33-40, Mark 12:1-11, Luke 20:9-18- Yeshua teaches that He would be killed in the parable of the vineyard.
- Mark 8:31- Yeshua teaches his talmidim that He will be killed and after three days rise again.
- Mark 9:31- Yeshua teaches his talmidim that He will be killed and after three days rise again.
- Mark 10:34- Yeshua teaches his talmidim that He will be killed and after three days rise again.
- Luke 9:22- Yeshua teaches his talmidim that He will be killed and after three days rise again.
- John 2:19-21- Yeshua says to the Temple authorities that He would be raised in three days.
- John 3:14- Yeshua says to Nicodemus that "the Son of Man" must be lifted up like Moshe lifted up the serpent in the wilderness.
- John 12:32-33- Yeshua says to a crowd as He is entering Yerushalayim on a donkey that if He is lifted up that He will draw all men to himself.