שׁפטים - "Judges"
"You shall appoint for yourself judges, and officers in all your towns which the LORD your G-d is giving you, according to your tribes, and they shall judge the people with righteous judgment.
|<< Previous (Re'eh)||Next (Ki Tetze) >>|
The Hebrew Word
First use in Scripture
The first time shoftim is used in Scripture is in Genesis 16:5.
And Sarai said to Abram, "May the wrong done me be upon you. I gave my maid into your arms, but when she saw that she had conceived, I was despised in her sight. May the LORD judge between you and me."
Last use in Scripture
The last time shoftim is used in Scripture is in Zechariah 8:16.
These are the things which you should do: speak the truth to one another; judge with truth and judgment for peace in your gates.
- Administration of Justice - Deuteronomy 17:1
- Portion of the Levi'im - Deuteronomy 18:1
- Spiritism Forbidden - Deuteronomy 18:9
- Cities of Refuge - Deuteronomy 19:1
- Laws of Landmarks and Judicial Testimony - Deuteronomy 19:14
- Laws Regarding War - Deuteronomy 20:1
- Expiation of a Crime - Deuteronomy 21:1
Portraits of Messiah
Verse by Verse Notes
42 of the traditional 613 commandments is found in this parashah:
- 522- Appoint judges - Deuteronomy 16:18
- 31- Not to plant a tree in the Temple courtyard (this is seen as idolatry) - Deuteronomy 16:21
- 107- Do not erect a pillar in a public place of worship - Deuteronomy 16:22
- 314- Do not offer a temporarily blemished animal - Deuteronomy 17:1
- 560- Act according to the ruling of the Sanhedrin - Deuteronomy 17:11
- 561- Do not deviate from the word of the Sanhedrin - Deuteronomy 17:11
- 153- Appoint a king from Israel - Deuteronomy 17:15
- 154- Do not appoint a foreigner as king - Deuteronomy 17:15
- 156- The king must not have too many horses - Deuteronomy 17:16
- 601- Do not dwell permanently in Egypt (seeking refuge or safety from war) - Deuteronomy 17:16
- 155- The king must not have too many wives - Deuteronomy 17:17
- 157- The king must not have too much silver and gold - Deuteronomy 17:17
- 152- The king must have a separate Sefer Torah for himself - Deuteronomy 17:18
- 40- The Tribe of Levi must not be given a portion of the land in Israel, rather they are given cities to dwell in - Deuteronomy 18:1
- 41- The Levi'im must not take a share in the spoils of war - Deuteronomy 18:1
- 441- To give the shoulder, two cheeks, and stomach of slaughtered animals to a kohen - Deuteronomy 18:3
- 419- To set aside Terumah Ged olah (gift for the kohen) - Deuteronomy 18:4
- 442- To give the first shearing of sheep to a kohen - Deuteronomy 18:4
- 47- The work of the kohanim's shifts must be equal during holidays - Deuteronomy 18:6-8
- 117- Do not go into a trance to foresee events, etc. - Deuteronomy 18:10
- 123- Do not perform acts of magic - Deuteronomy 18:10
- 119- Do not mutter incantations - Deuteronomy 18:11
- 120- Do not attempt to contact the dead - Deuteronomy 18:11
- 121- Do not consult the ov (ghosts) - Deuteronomy 18:11
- 122- Do not consult the yidoni (magicians/wizards) - Deuteronomy 18:11
- 67- To listen to the prophet speaking in His Name - Deuteronomy 18:15
182 verses that include shafat (Strong's #8199)