מטות - "Tribes"
Then Moses spoke to the heads of the tribes of the sons of Israel, saying, "This is the word which the LORD has commanded.
|<< Previous (Pinchas)||Next (Masa'ei) >>|
The Hebrew Word
First use in Scripture
The first time mattot is used in Scripture is in Genesis 38:18.
He said, "What pledge shall I give you?" And she said, "Your seal and your cord , and your staff that is in your hand." So he gave them to her and went in to her, and she conceived by him.
Last use in Scripture
The last time mattot is used in Scripture is in Habbakkuk 3:14.
You pierced with his own spears The head of his throngs. They stormed in to scatter us; Their exultation was like those Who devour the oppressed in secret.
- The Law of Vows - Numbers 30:1
- The Slaughter of Midyan- Numbers 31:1
- Division of the Spoils - Numbers 31:25
- Reuven and Gad Settle in Gil'ad - Numbers 32:1
Portraits of Messiah
Verse by Verse Notes
2 of the traditional 613 commandments are found in this parashah:
- 289- Do not break oaths or vows- Numbers 30:2
- 290- For oaths and vows annulled, there are the laws of annulling vows explicit in the Torah- Numbers 30:3-5
205 verses that include mattot (Strong's #4294)