נשׂא - "Take (a Census)"
Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, "Take a census of the sons of Gershon also, by their fathers' households, by their families;
|<< Previous (B'midbar)||Next (B'ha'alotkha) >>|
The Hebrew Word
Naso (Strong's #5375) a primitive root which means "to lift", "bear up, "carry", or "take". It is used 670 times in 611 verses in the Tanakh. This is the same root word which is used to form part of the name of Parashah Ki Tisa.
First use in Scripture
The first time naso is used in Scripture is in Genesis 4:13.
Cain said to the LORD, "My punishment is too great to bear!
Last use in Scripture
The last time naso is used in Scripture is in Malachi 2:9.
"So I also have made you despised and abased before all the people, just as you are not keeping My ways but are showing partiality [lit: lifting; as in lifting one side of a scale so as to create an inaccurate measurement] in the instruction.
- Duties of the Gershonites - Numbers 4:21
- Duties of the Merarites - Numbers 4:29
- On Defilement - Numbers 5:1
- The Test for an Adulterous Wife- Numbers 5:11
- Law of the Nazirites - Numbers 6:1
- Aharon's Benediction - Numbers 6:22
- Offerings of the Leaders - Numbers 7:1
Portraits of Messiah
Verse by Verse Notes
18 of the traditional 613 commandments are found in this parashah:
- 55- To send the impure from the Temple- Numbers 5:2
- 56- An impure person must not enter the Temple- Numbers 5:3
- 142- To repent and confess wrongdoings- Numbers 5:7
- 213- Do not put oil on the meal offering (as usual) of a Sotah- Numbers 5:15
- 214- Do not put frankincense on the meal offering (as usual) of a Sotah- Numbers 5:15
- 212- To fulfill the laws of the Sotah (woman suspected of adultery)- Numbers 5:30
- 293- The nazir must not drink wine, wine mixtures, or wine vinegar- Numbers 6:3
- 294- The nazir must not eat fresh grapes- Numbers 6:3
- 295- The nazir must not eat raisins- Numbers 6:3
- 296- The nazir must not eat grape seeds- Numbers 6:4
- 297- The nazir must not eat grape skins- Numbers 6:4
- 291- The nazir must let his hair grow- Numbers 6:5
- 292- The nazir must not cut his hair- Numbers 6:5
- 298- The nazir must not be under the same roof as a corpse- Numbers 6:6
- 299- The nazir must not come into contact with the dead- Numbers 6:7
- 300- The nazir must shave his head after bringing sacrifices upon completion of his Nazirite period- Numbers 6:9
- 38- The kohanim must bless the Israelite nation daily- Numbers 6:23
- 43- The Levi'im must transport the ark on their shoulders- Numbers 7:9
611 verses that include naso (Strong's #5375)